My Trail mix cookies are not just delicious:
They are also super healthy, super customizable and super elastic. Chock full of superfoods, including Levana Nourishments. A whole meal in a cookie! Gluten-free too!
You never need to feel guilty after eating them. Perfect food at home or on the road when we are too harried to hunker down to a heavy duty meal. Throwing in Levana Nourishments makes these little gems perfect little nutritional powerhouses.
Minimally sweetened, as most of the sweetness comes from the banana, carrot and raisins.
Here’s my Basic Trail Mix Cookies Recipe
Now scroll down, and take it to as many exciting places as you like, depending on your favorite add-in ingredients and what you might have in your pantry.
You can even make trail mix cookies into energy bars
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (gluten-free: be sure it is marked on the package)
- 3/4 light olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs (Vegan: use 2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 1/3 cup warm water)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or sucanat (or 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons stevia)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice mix (or 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon allspice and a good pinch cloves)
- 2 pouches Levana Nourishments Vanilla Bean
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 large carrot, shredded (1 cup packed)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 cup currants or raisins
Yields about 2 dozen 3 1/2 inch cookies.
Preheat the oven to 350 *F
Mix all ingredients thoroughly by hand in a mixing bowl.
Form balls the size of large walnut. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper of foil. Flatten the balls to about 3 inches diameter. Make sure to leave a little space for the flattened cookies to expand during baking. Bake about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Let the trail mix cookies cool completely before storing, in an air tight tin, or freeze them in a tightly sealed bag.
Add In Variations
- Use any nut butter or tehina instead of the oil
- Vegan: skip the eggs. Mix 2 tablespoons flax with 1/3 cup warm water and let the mixture rest 2-3 minutes.
- Use 1/2 cup canned pumpkin instead of banana
- Play with the spices: use ground anise, vanilla extract, ground lavender etc...
- Use shredded zucchini or apple instead of carrot
- Don't like coconut? (Can't imagine that!) Skip it and use more carrot
- Use pecans, walnuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds instead of almonds. Or sesame seeds (really nice if you used tehina: Best way to spread the sesame love!)
- Use other dried fruit instead of currants or raisins
- Throw in 1/2 mini chocolate chips.
Shape your trail mix cookies into bars
Press the batter firmly in a cookie sheet with sides, about 1/2 inch high. Bake about 30 minutes, and cut into bars