When my son Yakov was a little schoolboy, he would always gush about the baked beans he had in summer camp. He always urged me: Mommy, you must get the camp’s baked beans recipe! I did call the camp once, and they were happy to oblige: Their baked beans came straight from Heinz cans, reheated. Now, I am happy to report that even my son’s tastes have evolved, and he declares that Heinz should request my recipe: Heinz, do you hear this? Way to go!
Beans are so easy to use and contain ample amounts of fiber and protein.
To save time, good quality natural canned beans are perfectly OK to use.
Dark beer, please. That’s the secret of my baked beans’ heartiness. Then, simply mix it all in and bake, it’s simple as that!
Meat lovers: Throw in 2 cups diced natural smoked turkey!
- 2 pouches Levana Nourishments Garden Vegetable
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 12-ounce can dark beer, non-alcoholic OK
- 1/3 cup dark molasses (or 1/4 cup stevia or truvia)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup unfiltered cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large (28-0unce each) cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- For a meat meal: 2 cups diced natural smoked turkey
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to a baking dish and add all remaining ingredients, stirring thoroughly to combine. Bake about 45 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 6 to 8 servings.