Fennel is somewhat neglected in this country.
Quel dommage! This Cabage-Fennel-Apple trinity a real winner, besides being a real nutritional powerhouse. The sage brings all the flavors together. This will do excellently, alone or as a side dish with poultry or sliced steak. Try it as part of a vegetarian main course over kasha or in a kale salad
The food processor will do all your slicing and shredding in a wink of an eye!
The braising reduces the dish to a small, powerful delicious heap.
PS: Dear pregnant moms, did you know fennel does wonders for nausea? I kid you not. It was always my best friend throughout my (very tough) pregnancies. You’re welcome!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Granny Smith (green) apples, unpeeled and shredded
- 2 pouches Levana Nourishments Garden Vegetable
- 1 small head white cabbage, sliced very thin
- 2 large heads fennel, heads sliced very thin, fronds chopped
- 1 cup unfiltered apple cider
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs sage, leaves only, chopped
Mix all ingredients in a wide bottom pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low. Cover and cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft and most liquids evaporate. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
No comments yet.